Lunar Eclipse and duration of such

David Warner Mathisen just put out a very interesting talk on his YouTube channel The Undying Stars.
Something he said has stuck in my mind these past hours and I’d like to see it discussed here as it could corroborate the Tychos model.
He says that a total eclipse can last up to seven and a half minutes…wow! that’s a long time. To do this the Sun and Moon would have to be travelling in the same direction at a similar speed, no? After talking to friend about it I realised that under the Copernican model, with a stationary Sun, this would be impossible.
Any thoughts?

Here is the upcoming eclipse configuration on the Tychos simulator.

To answer your question, I would say that the movement belongs to the moon, it’s a fast mover, about one diameter /hr. The sun, during the eclipse, is essentially stationary for all intents and purposes. Earth too.

Standard model would have earth moving about the distance of its own diameter in seven and a half minutes. The eclipse would be over in the blink of an eye, I guess…

Perhaps it comes down to these two things: the moons progression and the rotation of the Earth. To maintain absolute totality for seven and a half minutes…!

I guess I see an opportunity here for an explanation of this using the Tychos model.

Yep, it’s got to be.

Here is a pretty cool animation you can see on this YT site.

They seem to have the speeds approximately correct, Tychos gear.

Thank you! Good work, I’ll watch it later today.

I was thinking about eclipses lately:

Running the Tychosium, it’s clear that the moon will pass between earth and sun once every 14 days, and will be ‘occluded’ ‘behind’ earth and sun after another 14 days (using 29.22 TMSP / 2 ). Somewhat unrelated, but, if estimates are correct, earth is 70.8% water and 29.2% land. Another coincidence with the number 29.2 which very closely matches the moon’s TMSP 29.22? 29.2 is a percentage: even when there are eclipses, they are typically viewed from earth’s 29.2% land (even though it is estimated 95% of people occupy 10% of land, or 2.92% of earth’s land).

One can read now that the moon will be in penumbral lunar eclipse (in earth’s shadow) March 23-25, before the April 8 solar eclipse. Now, there is not actually an eclipse twice every month. But I feel dumbfounded that the moon’s motions are relatively simple. Apparently when viewed from earth, the moon makes an analemma just like the sun.

Also interesting is from Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin’s book, the estimate that a total solar eclipse only occurs in the same place on earth once every 360 years.

2 Likes

This portion from the total solar eclipses in Oppolzer’s “Canon of Eclipses” corresponds to the upcoming eclipse - it is read: eclipse number 7686; year: 2024; month: IV (April); day: 8. Does anyone know of websites that map or visualize historical and upcoming eclipses? The following categories I believe related to eclipse path, position of moon, etc. It would be awesome to run these numbers from Oppolzer’s extensive tables spanning roughly from 1000 BC to 2100 AD into a sort of visualization, but this is a bit beyond me!