More confirmation for Simon

This part is left out of the second edition section 12.2 Sidereal v Solar Day. But in the 1st edition Simon discusses the 675.25 / 1.848 factor of the sun’s diameter divided into the circumference of it’s orbit.

I confirmed this completely on my own recently except that I found it not in kilometers but in arcseconds.

The sun’s dia subtends 1919.23". If you divide 1 296 000" (arc seconds in a circle) by 1919" you get 675.27, which puzzled me at first. (I had not read the first edition of the Tychos in a while)

Basically what this is telling us is that you get 675.27 suns per day, which instinctively you think 365. So what is 675.27 / 365.25 ? 1.848! :smiley: The sun travels 1.848 times it’s diameter per day as shown in the 2nd edition.

Incidentally, the sun is the slowest moving body in our system excepting earth; relative to it’s size. It moves about 7% of it’s diameter per hour.

The moon moves about 1x it’s dia/hr. Mercury moves a scorching 34X it’s diameter per hour.

To try and put this into an analogy we can relate to we can use a baseball (sorry European’s it’s all I’ve got). A baseball pitched at 100 mile an hour is travelling at about 600x it’s diameter/sec.

Simon has not changed anything in terms of distances and speeds of the planets, so when you realize that exchanging the orbit and speed of the sun with the earth well, okay, you can line up the equinox’s and solstices no big deal, right? It’ll work.

But think about it, they didn’t swap the speed of earth in the Tychos and make the sun travel at 1mph, they made it STATIONARY! That’s just bizarre.

So the sun is immobile and the earth is travelling 7x it’s diameter per hour! That means that the distance the standard model says we travel in an hour, in reality it takes us 11 months!

Dear Schoepffer,

To be precise, the standard model says that Earth travels by 107226 kilometers every hour. This would be about 8.4 x the Earth’s diameter of 12756km :

107226 / 12756 = 8.4059

In the Tychos, Earth travels at only 1.6km/h.
Hence, to cover the distance that the standard model says we travel in an hour (107226km), Earth would employ about 67016.25 hours… or about 7.65 years!

Dear Simon, you’re right, I wrote that wrong! I meant to say the time that they say it takes us to travel one earth diameter would be about 11 months.

12756 / 38.428km/day = 331.95 days / 30 = 11.06 months approx. (about 7 minutes in standard model!)