Question about investigating cycles regarding the moon, and controling timing in the Tychosium

In the Tychosium, Is the “1 month” setting a 30 day month or is it a 29.22 day month?

Also, 29.22 x12=350.64 so i am also confused about the length of the lunar calendar being 354 days long as stated in Chapter 16.

Do you think there would be any value to people to include a Lunar month or perhaps a lunar year of 354 or the 16year cycle of the moon as available timing choices in the Tychosium. Or there could be other preset important settings, or perhaps you could make it possible to enter whatever time interval you want as the basis used to jump into the past or the future.

Just some thoughts. Thanks

Dear MUU,

In the Tychosium, the Moon’s speed is, necessarily, set to a value that corresponds to about 27.3 days (i.e. the moon’s sidereal period). This, because that’s the time employed by the Moon to revolve ONCE around its own orbit. This is also the value that the ancient astronomers would have used to determine their 354-day lunar calendar which was based on 13 revolutions of the Moon: 354 / 13 = approximately 27.3 days. It wasn’t quite so accurate - but it probably served their purpose fairly well for their lunar calendar which, mind you, had to be ‘adjusted’ over time - as we can read on the Wikipedia: “A purely lunar calendar is also distinguished from a lunisolar calendar, whose lunar months are brought into alignment with the solar year through some process of intercalation. Lunar calendar - Wikipedia

On the other hand, the 29.22-day synodic period (i.e. the time that the Moon employs to realign with the Sun) calculated within the TYCHOS paradigm can be shown to be an extremely ‘stable’ and reliable period throughout the centuries and - indeed - over several millennia (as can be verified in the Tychosium simulator). Yes, it is about 1% shorter than the Moon’s currently observed / estimated synodic period of 29.5 days, but this apparent ‘discrepancy’ is likely due to the fact that the Earth-Moon system slowly revolves around the PVP orbit “clockwise”. i.e. in the opposite direction of our entire Solar System.

Let me now describe how we can verify the exactitude of the Moon’s 29.22-day (or more precisely 29.2194-day) synodic period in the Tychosium simulator (over very long periods of time). As you surely know, the TYCHOS model stipulates that our Solar System revolves once around itself in 25344 years. During this timespan, the Moon will complete exactly 316800 synodic periods of 29.2194 days (25344 X 365.2425 (a solar year) = 9256705.92 days / 29.2194 = 316800).

So let’s use the solar eclipse that occurred on 2001-06-21 as a ‘reference date’ to verify all of this in the Tychosium. Now, it is essential to understand that, since the Earth-Moon system revolves in the opposite direction of our SS, it will “subtract” (at the completion of 25344 years) ONE “year” from the Sun. Therefore, we must use a 25345-year (rather than a 25344-year) value to see if our Moon returns to the same place in our skies. So here we go. You will now need to open the Tychosium simulator to verify what follows for yourself:

On 2001-06-21 (at 12:00:00 UTC), a solar eclipse occurred at 6h01min of RA.

and 25345 years later…

On 27346-06-21 (at 07:00:00 UTC), a solar eclipse will occur at 5h59.7min of RA

and 25345 years later…

On 52691-06-22 (at 08:00:00 UTC), a solar eclipse will occur at 6h03min of RA

and 25345 years later…

On 78036-06-21 (at 09:00:00 UTC), a solar eclipse will occur at 6h03min of RA

The Tychosium is - you may admit - a most stunning piece of clockwork ! One may say that it is a modern Antikythera - on steroids! :slight_smile:

1 Like

With regards to the mechanics of Tychosium “1 month” simply equals 30 days. So if we step one month forward from the 21st of July we will get to the 20th of August. “1 year” however takes leap years into account so we will arrive at the same date next year regardless if it’s a leap year. I guess this can be confusing. Would it be better if one always arrives at the same date next month? We can’t always arrive at February the 29th though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your thorough explanation I get it. I have looked at the examples, interesting alignment of the Sun Venus and the Moon and Earth in 78036-6-21 I hope someone will enjoy that one.

1 Like