Sagnac effect and Saturn

It’s a screenshot from Neil Ashby’s workshop „Relativity in the Global Positioning System” pdf

It shows well tested and grounded „Sagnac correction” used in GPS systems.

Scientists seem not interested in applying it to signal/light sent to the Saturn.

In TYCHOS such effect would be even more prominent.

Given 2.85e12 R(adius) in TYCHOS (1.5e12 in Copernican) and his rotational speed on equator 9.8e3 m/s, if one sends a signal/light to a gas atom on Saturn’s surface it should receive it after 9800 seconds + 0.312 second (Sagnac correction), by that time Saturn will rotate by ~90°.

Applied naively part of Saturn’s equator atoms should receive a light by the time them being on his ‘dark side’.

Any hints how to deal with it, any indications that it could be the case?

/I see that you’ve released PDFs for free, much love/

Edit:

„In the shadow of Saturn, unexpected wonders appear. The robotic Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn drifted in giant planet’s shadow for about 12 hours in 2006 and looked back toward the eclipsed Sun.” source

What’s nice here is a light lensing just on the edge of surface.

Hello 8kac8 and welcome to the forum,

Sorry to say, but I’m afraid I don’t understand much of your post and thus, cannot answer your question. For instance, what do these values refer to?

“Given 2.85e12 R(adius) in TYCHOS (1.5e12 in Copernican)…”

Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Those are distances in meters.

As I was used to semi-axes in calculations so I treated bodies data in your appendix as such, clearly you noted diameters - hence difference, sorry.

So expected effects need to be divided by two: 45 degrees and 150 milliseconds.

In a question - you take “Sagnac effect” equation and treat Sun as an artificial satellite, its light as a transmitted signal and Saturn as an Earth.

The clue of this effect is that speed of light/signal in relation to moving target neither has a value of c (relativity) nor c-v (aether theories) but seems to “chase” its target (or is being dragged by it).

When I saw your Saturn’s distance in appendix I jumped onto it because there should be some clear visual symptoms of such big difference in distances.

Yet it was only my error :slight_smile:

1 Like