The Asteroid Apophis and its close pass by earth on April 13 2029

I am wondering if there is any information or comments relating to the TYCHOS in regards to the asteroid Apophis. Its orbit and and its close pass by earth on April 13 2029.

Dear MUU,

Ouch! I hate to disappoint you, but I’ve never heard of the Apophis asteroid - although I may now look it up for curiosity’s sake and as / or if time permits…As you’ll surely appreciate, it cannot be reasonably be expected of us (the two-man TYCHOS research team composed of Patrik Holmqvist and I) to keep track of the countless near-earth asteroids (and comets / dwarf planets, etc) in our skies - nor much less to integrate them anytime soon into the Tychosium 3D simulator. At this stage, Patrik is still working (in the spare time allowed by his daytime job) on a new update of the Tychosium with a view of integrating an improved graphic 3-D representation of our nearmost stars which, in the current version, is a very basic and provisional one. So please bear with patience - Rome wasn’t built in one day - and neither was our universe! :slight_smile:

I’d like to take this occasion to kindly ask all forum members not to use this forum as some ‘cosmic information bureau’ - and to preferably submit pertinent thoughts and questions within the scope and realm of the Tychos model and its general configuration. To be sure, there certainly isn’t any shortage of topics to discuss within the paradigm and outlines of the model itself. Thanks to all and continued merry New Year - this should be an interesting one!

Dearest.Simon,
I am not disappointed. But I do feel a bit confused about your apparent displeasure with my question. I don’t understand the “Ouch.” And I also don’t understand why you think this is a irrelevant question.
I certainly don’t expect you to know about every thing that comes up. Nor do I expect you run immediately out and research it for me. It was just question that was asked of me, about Apophis being in the Tychos by one of the people I am trying to convince to look at your model. He works as an engineer for one of the big rocket companies and he is a friend. I bought a copy of your book to give to him. I Thought it was possible that you had looked at it.

I don’t understand why an asteroid or comet orbiting the Earth would not have anything to do with the TYCHOS, Your research into Haley’s certainly relates.
I also have questions about all the earth crossing asteroids because they track them and map their orbits, I was wondering if some sort of proof of the Tychos model could also be gleaned from that type of data.

Dear MUU, I’m sorry if my above reply came across as ‘displeasured’ - I didn’t mean to sound offish, nor is your question irrelevant by any means (btw, I’m not in the best of spirits lately as I lost two very close old friends within days of each other around xmas time…). Of course the orbital motions of comets and asteroids are most relevant to the TYCHOS model. In fact, Chapter 30 (by far the largest chapter in my book) is about Halley’s comet - and how it provides what I dare define as definitive and unassailable evidence of the trochoidal orbital motions of our surrounding celestial bodies.

Surely though, you will also have read the preceding Chapter 29 which deals with Eros, the first near-Earth asteroid (NEA) to be discovered. Every 81.1 years, Eros makes a super-close passage at only about 0.18AU from Earth. The last one occurred on January 31, 2012:

As you can see, the heart-shaped orbit of Eros’ orbit is what is known in geometry jargon as a “cardioid” - a word which shares its root with the word “cardiac”. It is thus rather curious that asteroid Eros was named after the Greek god of love… One has to wonder whether this is just coincidental - or if whoever ‘baptized’ the newly-discovered body (back in 1898) was aware of its cardioid-shaped orbit - as revealed only in recent years by the Tychosium 3D simulator!

To be sure, the JPL/NASA solar system simulator does not show Eros moving in such manner - even though a ‘static’ comparison between their heliocentric simulator and the Tychosium simulator looks like this:

So does this mean that the ephemerides (celestial positions) of Eros in the two simulators disagree with each other? No! The five successive super-close passages of Eros (between the years 1850 and 2174) listed in the below comparison chart make for a most spectacular match :

As you may well imagine, implementing the orbits of asteroid Eros and Halley’s comet in the Tychosium simulator was a rather time-consuming affair which required, among other things, detailed observational data for the two bodies’ secular motions (something that is not always readily available for other comets and asteroids). Ideally, of course, Patrik and I would like to integrate ever more celestial bodies in the Tychosium in the future, but at this moment we must focus on other priorities (e.g. fine-tuning the positions of our nearmost stars) - and there’s only so much time in our hands! :slight_smile:

On a final, 'anecdotal ’ note, please know that NASA proudly claims to have landed a probe on asteroid Eros (named after the god of love) just around Valentine’s Day, February 14 2001. You may admit that inside jokes don’t come any sillier than that. Who writes this stuff? Mel Brooks? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, :smile: Yes, At this point I would say an updated Tychosium Simulator should be the top priority. Although i doubt there is anything that I could do to help I would be happy to donate some time.
As it is, I am so very appreciative of Patrik and your work. It is truly amazing.
I am sincerely sorry to hear of your losses. Nothing in life is harder than loosing loved ones.
Best wishes to both of you, Simon and Patrik. And Everyone here on this forum for the coming year as we watch the Sun make another journey around the Earth… My love goes out to you all.

1 Like